What Is A 90-Day Fiance?


If you are a United States(US) citizen engaged to or in a serious relationship with a foreign citizen, you have likely started the journey of understanding what is needed to obtain a K-1 Visa. A K-1 Visa allows your fiancé to enter the US and reside in the US for 90 days, so long as you intend to marry each other.

To obtain a K-1 Visa, the partner that is a US citizen needs to formally sponsor the foreign partner and submit a visa petition to the United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of the foreign fiancé. Below are the criteria for the petition submission:

  • You must be a citizen of the United States;
  • You intend to get married to your fiancé within 90 days of his admission to the US;
  • Both you and your fiancé are legally free to be married in the United States;
  • You have met your fiancé in person at some point in the past two years; and
  • You can financially support your partner and provide evidence of such.

You can proceed to the next stage if you meet all the listed items above.

A visa petition is submitted on behalf of the foreign fiancé to the USCIS for approval. The case is transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) where a case number is issued, and a petition is forwarded to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé resides. The foreign fiancé can then apply for a K-1 Visa to the US.

The time frame to obtain the visa varies. It can make planning for the move and a wedding difficult. Once your fiancé has obtained their K-1 Visa, they must enter the US within six months, and your marriage must take place within 90 days of their arrival in the US.

Obtaining a K-1 Visa can be stressful, lengthy, and confusing, but we are here to help you smoothly navigate the process. Our team of attorneys are well versed and understands the process. They have successfully helped many clients obtain their K-1 Visas.

Our firm has locations in New York, Michigan, and Virginia and is here to help assist you with expert guidance through your visa process. Contact us today to learn more about the services we offer.

New York (917) 525-4321
Michigan (313) 636-6363
Virginia (757) 271-2710

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *